[Callers] Pre-existing dance?

Bill Olson via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 18 12:29:01 PDT 2016

Yep, I agree..

bill

________________________________
From: Callers <callers-bounces at lists.sharedweight.net> on behalf of Dave Casserly via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:25 PM
To: Neal Schlein
Cc: callers
Subject: Re: [Callers] Pre-existing dance?

Regarding attribution, I like the way David Kaynor puts it on this website: "Some of my dances are "compositions" only in the loosest sense of the word; they fall into the category of "glossary" contras which basically amount to minimally imaginative resequencing of ordinary contra dance elements. Do such dances…especially if conceived spontaneously in a teaching/calling situation… qualify as "compositions?" Maybe. Maybe not."

I'm in the maybe not camp.  They're not protected by any copyright here (at least in my view, which has generally been shared by most people on this list when the topic comes up on occasion).  I don't call regularly; most of the time when I call dances, I'm doing so late at night after a singing event or at somebody's house or at a more-or-less spontaneous outdoor gathering, where I don't have dance cards with me.  I know several dances by name and memory, but most of the dances at such events are things I've made up on the spot.  I am almost certain that every single one of these dances is a progression I have danced before at some point in the past, and that somebody has written and put their name on Partner Balance and Swing, Circle Left 3/4, Neighbor Swing, Long Lines, Ladies Chain, Left-Hand Star, New Neighbor Do-Si-Do.  Good for whoever that person is, and if it's a catchy title, that can be a useful way for us to refer to that particular glossary dance.  But I wouldn't call it a composition, and I certainly wouldn't feel like I need to research whoever wrote that dance and the title and attribute it to that person.

Where I differ from Neal is that I don't really want a dozen people to be putting their name on that above dance I just made up (after I've danced it many times already, after somebody else made it up, etc).  It's just not interesting enough of a sequence to be worth attributing at all.

It gets a bit tougher when we're talking about dances that, when written, were really compositions, adding something new or fresh to the repertoire, but could now be considered glossary dances because of how common those figures have become in modern contra dances.  But that's not the case for most of the dances.

-Dave
Washington, DC