[Callers] Ralph Page Style

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 17 23:36:46 PDT 2016

I started contra dancing in 1980, so got in on the tail end of
the period when the "Chestnuts" were staples of the repertoire
and well known to many dancers.

The way I remember dancing the transition from the end of one
round of "Rory O'More" to the beginning of the next was for the
active dancers to end their swing by falling back to proper
sides, facing partner across the set, ready to cross and cast
down the improper side.  Commonly, instead of falling all the
way back into line at the end of B2, active dancers would fall
back (almost) to arm's length and catch hands so as to initiate
the crossing at he start of A1 with a little tug.  You can see
some examples here:

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jPqECMr9Y8

For "Chorus Jig", I think the most common thing was to end the
swing in B2 side-by-side with partner, facing up, gent on the
left and lady on the right (thus on proper sides of the set),
ready to cast down the outside.  A variation I would occasionally
use was to finish the swing by falling back face-to-face with my
partner towards *improper* sides, catch hands (as described above
for "Rory O' More"), and pull by to proper sides, at which point
we would be facing out of the set and ready to start the dance
over by going down the outside.  (I don't recall whether I picked
that flourish up from someone or discovered it on my own, and I
don't know how many other people ever used it.)  Looking at some
old videos of Chorus Jig

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09f-3yGMuE  (1986)
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFnxKaBV_as  (1992)

I didn't spot any instances of the fall-back-improper-and-pull-by
flourish, but in this more recent video

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG9OWAsUb48  (2007)

you can see it done about 0:33-0:36 by the *second* active couple
from the top of the set in front of the camera (man with headband
and woman in blue and whit print dress).

All these B2->A1 transitions flow very nicely for dancers wha
are familiar with them.  In all three of these videos, you can
also see examples of active men spinning clockwise after guiding
their partners into the initial cast.  You can also see some other
variations, some of which (and I'm not going to single them out)
may not have been entirely intentional.

I can't speak with any authority about how the transitions from
B2 to A1 in "Chorus Jig" and "Rory O'More" were commonly danced in
1970 or 1960, 1950, etc.

--Jim