[Callers] Ralph Page Style

Michael Barraclough via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Oct 13 09:52:33 PDT 2016

John

You have only to look to the UK to get your answer!

Think about how contras used to (and probably still are) in most UK
folk dance clubs. Less energy, longer balances, shorter swings, no
swings, in-actives etc. Look at the contras that were published in the
Community Dance Manuals. My own dance collection has many has many
dances that I collected in the UK in the late-60s and 70s which would
rarely, if ever, see the light of day at a contra in the USA today or
at the few (Zesty) Contra clubs in the UK. Dances such as: Albany Reel,
Bicentennial Reel, East Meets West, Needham Special, Wrong Side Reel.
And, if I were to include dances that only had a short neighbor swing
and no partner swing I would run out of electrons!

This is the style/content/concepts that Ralph Page taught when he came
to the UK (mid-50s I think).

I suspect that 'smooth' is being used in the description of the RPLDW,
not as Larry Jennings defines it and that 'more gentle' or 'less
driven' might have been a better way to put it.

Michael Barraclough
www.michaelbarraclough.com