[Callers] Ralph Page Style

Neal Schlein via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 11 11:20:45 PDT 2016

I would agree--giving a place to smoother, calmer, and inequal dances that
give people time to interact, chat, make eye contact, etc, instead of
forcing a rapidity of constant interaction.  It's not so much a matter of
music speed as choreographic selection.

He was also known to occasionally use patter when calling contras and
quadrilles.  Apparently the tradition historically existed in New England,
but was much less pronounced than elsewhere and has since virtually
vanished.

I forget the source from which I got that tidbit, but it very possibly was
Time to Dance by Richard Neville.  Or it could have been a letter in the
Lloyd Shaw Foundation Archive collection.  Not sure.

Neal

Neal Schlein
Youth Services Librarian, Mahomet Public Library

Currently reading: *The Different Girl* by Gordon Dahlquist
Currently learning: How to set up an automated email system.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Jeff Kaufman via Callers <