[Callers] Good dances for beginners to safely leave/return to minor set.

Maia McCormick via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 11 06:04:25 PDT 2016

Anything that gets a laugh is more likely to be remembered. I've heard
folks (Adina Gordon comes to mind) say something like: "If there's no one
on your left diagonal... (dramatic pause) ...for the love of God, don't do
anything!" Still don't have a particularly good way to get folks back IN on
a diagonal though, eagerly following this thread for that!

I *will* mention a bit of advice I got (believe it was from the esteemed
Will Mentor) on calling new/old neighbor figures: and that's to avoid use
of the phase "go BACK to your..." because to many that implies backwards
motion and generally folks will be walking forward, and you only perceive
that direction as "back" if you have a pretty well-developed sense of
contra geography. Instead, say something like "return". I also find it
useful, in this cases, to give the players funny and memorable names other
than "current neighbor" and "next neighbor"--like maybe your "one true
neighbor"?

Cheers,
Maia

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:27 AM, K Panton via Callers <