[Callers] Wrist-Lock Stars

Susan McElroy-Marcus via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 10 18:21:37 PDT 2016

Just a bit of Louisville dance community history on this subject—when my husband started dancing there in the late 70’s and I came in 1982, the Monday night dance was a mix of English and contra.  The default contradance star grip was the “wrist lock” not hands across as in English.  We called it a basket handhold or wrist grip.  Our influence came from New England because our friend, Norb Spencer, who started the group along with Marie and Frank (Cassidy?) and who called much of the time—learned in New England.  We then taught it that way when we moved to Cincinnati and started that group.  Louisville only became a “bastion of hands-across-by-default” sometime in the late 1990’s or ealy 2000’s during my calling hiatus.  When I re-entered the calling scene 6-7 years ago, I was surprised and bemused upon calling in Louisville to learn of the high regard held for their ‘traditional’ hands-across star style.
Susan McElroy-Marcus