[Callers] Good dances for beginners to safely leave/return to minor set.

Maia McCormick via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 10 10:39:39 PDT 2016

Mary Cay's Reel (also by David Kaynor) and Poetry in Motion (Lisa
Greenleaf) have expeditions out of your hands-4 to your future neighbor,
and Little Green Heron (Joseph Pimentel) to the previous ones. Angel's
Flight (Sue Rosen) is a really lovely dance with a jaunt to your future
neighbor and back, but beginners may have trouble doing the gypsy the right
distance, it needs careful teaching. In Cahoots (Rick Mohr) and Train Delay
(one of mine) are some dances with brief shadow interaction that are pretty
hard to mess up--no weird diagonal action or similar. Choreography below.

Mary Cay's Reel by David Kaynor || becket left
A1: circle L 3/4; pass N to alle. L with next N
A2: orig. N b&S
B1: long lines; ladies alle. R 3/4 (4), new lady by L 3/4 (4)*
B2: P b&s
*gents slide a little L to meet partner. Also, ladies should locate 2nd
lady before starting (look across, and one lady to the right)

Poetry in Motion by Lisa Greenleaf || improper
A1: RH star; N alle. R 1 1/2
A2: gypsy next N L; swing N*
B1: g&t to gent's side; P swing
B2: ladies chain (to N); LH star 1x (to new Ns)
* CURRENT N: the one you alle'd, NOT the one you gypsied

Little Green Heron by Joseph Pimentel || improper
A1 with current neighbors star L; with former neighbors star R
A2 with current N b&s
B1 gents alle L 1.5; P swing
B2 circle L 1.25 (till the ones are looking down, twos looking up); with P
zig left past current neighbors, zag right to greet new neighbors

Angel's Flight by Sue Rosen || improper
A1: N gypsy R 1 1/2*; RH star (ladies follow N) 1x
A2: next N gypsy L 1x; orig. N swing
B1: circle L 3/4; P swing
B2: ladies chain (to N); LH star 1x
* identify next N before starting the star (look away from this N along
 the side)

In Cahoots by Rick Mohr || becket, CW
A1: (slide left to) circle L 3/4 w/ next N swing
A2: ladies alle. R 1 1/2 P alle. L 1 1/2 → short wave (gents R in middle)
B1: bal. wave, walk forward to new wave (gents R, shadows L) bal. wave,
shadow alle. L 3/4
B2: P b&s

Train Delay by Maia McCormick || becket right
A1: ladies alle. R 1 1/2*; N swing
A2: ladies chain (to P); LH star 1x
B1: w/ shadow, bal. & box the gnat; do-si-do shadow 1 1/2
B2: P b&s
* look R for a new lady (gents will scooch R here)
In the second half of B1, pull by R at the start of the do-si-do for some
extra momentum (depending on the crowd, may be useful to teach this)

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM, K Panton via Callers <