[Callers] Wrist-Lock Stars

John Sweeney via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 10 01:31:22 PDT 2016

Hi all,
	I have been to contra dances and festivals all over America and
everywhere I have danced everyone automatically uses a wrist-lock star
(unless the caller has specified hands-across because of the subsequent
choreography).

	But I am constantly challenged in England by people claiming that
wrist-lock stars are not the standard in America.

	When I go to somewhere like The Flurry and see 600 people from all
over the country all doing wrist-locks it seems to me that it must be the
standard way of doing things.

	And obviously it has been common in America for a long time; this
video is from 1964 in Northern Vermont and shows wrist-lock stars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZubTju7g_s

	So, are there still significant communities that don't use
wrist-locks?

	Is the wrist-lock the de facto standard?

	Thanks.

            Happy dancing,
                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802