[Callers] What dance is this?

David A Kaynor via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Oct 7 14:02:37 PDT 2016

Hi Everyone,

Bill is correct:  Cherokee Shuffle is an entirely different dance.

The dance in question is one of those great blue-collar contras which were somewhat dismissively referred to as “glossary dances” by some of the bigwigs of the late 20th century.  Unsurprisingly, it seems to have been independently composed by a number of people, me included.  My composition came together on the occasion of Matthew Justin Kenney’s birth however many years ago that was (he is now entering college).  When I walked it through at my old Greenfield dance (at which Stuart Kenney played bass and banjo in the Greenfield Dance Band) for the first time, explained its inspiration, and asked the crowd what I ought to call it, someone shouted out “Matthew Just in Time”.  And it stuck.

I suspect that as time goes on and more and more people compose dances, there will be more occasions of independent composing of identical sequences.

David