[Callers] Fewer than 6 dancers - Ideas?

Winston, Alan P. via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 4 14:37:32 PDT 2016

Jacqui --

I feel your pain.  (I spent a couple of years trying to run an English Ceilidh series - bouncy sweaty dances with swings - and while we once had 42 people we more typically had 6 or fewer.  I collected and made up a bunch of five person dances, but most of them aren't very contra-y.  Once I had a set of five person dances I barely needed them.)  Over the years I've gotten a lot of use from "Polka Dots", which is almost the same dances as "Domino 5", which Kalia posted.

Anyway, here's a couple of two-couple contra dances which should work with whatever the band wants to play for it, plus a five person dance and something that goes to the English tune "Sellenger's Round' but accommodates 3 to about 7 people.  (Ended up doing it with 9 recently because 3 people came late and joined in.)

Its really tempting to cancel a contra if you only have a few people, but  you don't want to punish the people who showed up - they may have foregone other options for their evenings.  And there's a sense of triumph if you can show them a good time.  I think its important to have options ready to go, so you can start on an energetic note and keep things happening, and if any new person shows up they see something going on rather than nothing and maybe stick around to get in the next one.

PROMENADE FOUR
Two couples facing, improper, up and down.
duple-meter 32 bar music
Alan Winston, 9.10.2016
(Came up with at Civil War Dance when I had only two couples left.)
Beginner-ish.

A1: forward to meet the other couple and retire
      1s cast down, 2s lead up, face other couple again (now indecent)

A2: Repeat with the 2s casting down.

B1: Ladies chain up and down the set

B2: From courtesy turn with partner continue into a promenade and wheel to face
the other couple from new places, improper.
If time, swing partner.

X MARKS THE SPOT
Antony Heywood, 1992 (in "An Enchanted Place")
Possible ceilidh use.  NIB: 4x32-bar American reels
Two couple set, partners side-by-side facing across (Becket)

A1: 1-4: Right-hand star once round
    5-8: Ladies chain over, not back (men cast L out of the star)

A2: 1-8: Women coming back pass right shoulder to start a straight hey for 4.

B1: 1-4: Opposites swing
    5-8: Partners back-to-back by right shoulder

B2: 1-4: Partners swing (progressive)
    5-8: Left hand star once round.

(Everybody's progressed one place clockwise; repeat 3x until all are home.)
SELLENGER'S WHEEL
Alan Winston, 11/16/2003
cut-down version of Sellenger's Round for 3-7 people, no partners needed.
Formation: circle of people facing in
Tune in Barnes, 5x.

I:
A:  Slipping circle (*really* slipping)  left and back to the right.