[Callers] new (?) dance - with a shadow swing

Luke Donforth via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Oct 1 10:12:23 PDT 2016

I agree that promenade across takes up more room than a R&L. Given the
space, I'd take the promenade here because of the extra turn required to go
on the left diagonal for the chain to shadow. I think the promenade has
better connection, so folks can work together more.

If it was crowded, it could be switched to a R&L. I wouldn't want to do a
swing->swing transition in a very crowded hall though. But I could imagine
a density where I'd still run the dance but want to use a R&L instead of a
promenade.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Rich Dempsey via Callers <

> I like the way you can hand off from shadow to partner. That feels
> exciting.
>
> What is the aesthetic consideration that leads you to choose a promenade
> across?
>
> My personal experience is that the line tends to tighten up, and it's hard
> to get across without bumping you neighbors.  I think a R&L through doesn't
> have this problem, possibly because we're not traveling together.
> Sometimes, I convert it to a traveling swing in an especially tight line
> because at the moment of lining up with the larger line, my partner and I
> are oriented perpendicularly to it, which takes up less space up and down
> the hall. Not sure you could teach that. It requires precision.
>
> Rich
>
> On Sep 20, 2016 1:49 PM, "Luke Donforth via Callers" <
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I know the list has had big debates about shadow swings in the past. If
>> you don't like 'em, you can pitch this. This dance was written for someone
>> who wanted a shadow swing, and is something I might call at a shadow-themed
>> festival session. As shadow swings go, I like the idea of swingus
>> interuptus going from shadow to partner.
>>
>> To my knowledge, it's a new composition. Haven't gotten to test it yet.
>> But I present it for comment and/or collection.
>>
>> Becket, cw
>> A1
>> Circle L 3/4
>> Neighbor Swing
>> A2
>> Promenade across with neighbor
>> Left Diagonal Ladies chain (to shadow)
>> B1
>> women start 1/2 hey straight across by Right shoulder
>> Women Do Si Do 1x
>> B2
>> Shadow swing
>> Partner swing
>> (no slide required, circle with couple straight across)

Luke Donforth
Luke.Donforth at gmail.com <Luke.Donev at gmail.com>