[Callers] Post election day dances?

Karin Neils via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Nov 14 00:31:43 PST 2016

I see a story line in the moves of this dance that I like; the
Wednesdays after elections, we go back to our daily routines, connecting
at work and in the neighborhood and with best friends, and encountering
new folks as well.

Our contra dance communities are a microcosm [albeit samplings as
opposed to representations] of the larger population. The people who
commute at the same times and along the same routes everyday are still
the ones with whom we share the road so that everyone arrives home
safely. The wait staff at the restaurant, the baggers and cashiers at
our most frequented stores are the same, and we interact with them in
the same, hopefully kind and courteous, ways as we did before. Who we've
elected does not change our human connections. We get to choose how we
interact with/cooperate with/share kindnesses with in all of our circles
of influence.

I admit to hoping for one of those magical fixes last night that often
occurs with an evening of dancing , and to being less able to soak it
up, less able to contribute to the possibility, but today I am better
for having gone than I could possibly have been if I had stayed home and
missed the car pool conversation, the favorite tunes, the eye contact,
and the swings that, for the moment, put us both in balance.

How fortunate are we all for being able to dance our lives....