[Callers] A Lot of "Don't Know" dances

Chris Page via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Nov 6 14:41:03 PST 2016

I've only answered the ones I know.

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM, Erik Hoffman via Callers
<callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In my book of collected dances I have a bunch of “Don’t knows.” Some have
> more info, like “from Kathy Anderson.” In an attempt to get names and
> choreographers in one fell swoop, I’m putting them all here. All help is
> appreciated!
>
> Don’t Know Yet #0, from ???
> Becket
> Don’t know
> A1    Wmn Allemande Rt 1½; Half Hey (Nb st Lft sh)
> A2      NbrB&S
> B1      on Lft Diag: Women Chain—to Shdw; (w/ Shdw) Across: Right & Left
> Thru
> B2      LLF&B; Partner Swing

My Right Hand Man (Roger Auman)

> Don’t Know #4
> Improper
> Don’t know
> A1      DSD Nbr;  Sw Nbr
> A2      R&L Thru Acrss; Star Lft ¾, end in a wave on the Wm’s side Pt in
> left, Shdw in Rt
> B1      BAL the wave, Al Rt Shdw; Sw Pt
> B2      Circle Lft 1¼; CA twirl Pt

Slight variant of "A Precarious Balance" by Becky Hill. (Original has
Neighbor balance and swing)

> Don’t Know Yet #5 from Cis Hinkle
> Improper
> Kathy Anderson
> A1      Ones split the Twos (with hands? Gate?): Mirror DSD (or gate?) to
> Circle;  BAL the Ring, Pt Rollaway with a Half Sashay Acrss
> A2      DSD Nbr to a Wave, Mn in Center;  Ry O’Mr BAL (to put Wm in center)
> B1      Wm Al Lft 1½;  Sw Pt
> B2      Prom Pt;  Circle Lft ¾, Twos Arch, Pop the Ones through
> From Cis Hinkle at Harvest Moon

Maybe "Early Morning Swim"?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.folk-dancing/O1hia3fo16c/fO-hV67EezAJ

> Don’t Know from Briefcase #1
> Improper
> Me?
> A1      Ptnella BAL Twice
> A2      BAL the Ring, CA Twril Pt;  Sw Nbr
> B1      Mn Al Lft 1½;  Sw Pt
> B2      Wm Chain;  Half Hey, Wm start, Rt shoulder
> From a green piece of paper, the 2000 Echo Summit dance schedule.  I should
> email Susan Kevra (the other caller) and see if she knows about this dance.

Greenfield Petronella by Chris Ricciotti

> Don’t Know Yet From Andy Wilson—June 1, ????
> Imp
> A1      “Hey” along lines: Pass Nb Rt, next Lft, 3rd Rt Shoulder Turn, pass
> next Left, to
>         Current Nbr
> A1       w/ Current Nbr, ½ Rt Sh Turn then “Stalk”: Wm crosses, Mn follows
> to other
>         side;  Nb Sw
> B1      Circle Lft ¾;  Pt Sw
> B2      Star Lft ¾; turn to face Nbr: BAL, Pull by w/ Rt
> Says, Beware to start the “Hey” with the Right Shoulder. Could that last
> Balance & Pull By be with the Left?

Looks like a variant of "A Rare Bird" by Bob Isaacs.
Original has A1 gypsy instead of right-hand turn, B2 of
Long lines, star left 3/4, pull by left.

> Don’t Know Yet From Cis Hinckle @ Harvest Moon
> Improper
> A1      BAL & Sw Nbr
> A2      LLF&B with Wm Rolling Away with a Half Sashay (left);  LLF&B with Mn
> Rolling Away with a Half Sashay (Rt, same Nbr)
> B1      Wm Al Rt 1½;  Sw Pt
> B2      Wm Chain;  Star Left

"Rollin' and Tumblin'" by Cis Hiinkle.

> Don't Know Yet from Dean Alemain
> Becket
> A1      Crcl Lft ¾;  Nb Sw
> A2      LLF&B; Mn Al Lft 1½
> B1      Pt BAL & Sw
> B2      Mn Cross (4), Wm Cross (4); Hands Across Rt Star
>         Single File lead to next couple (Mn in lead)

"Fun Dance for Marjorie" by Bob Golder.

> Don’t Know Yet From Gordy Euler—Oct 17, 2012, in Berk
> Imp
> A1      Bal Ring, w/ Pt, CA Twirl, turn alone to face in
>         Bal Ring, w/ Nb, CA Twirl, (I think:) turn alone to face in
> A2      Bal Ring, w/ Pt, Ca Twirl to face new Nb;  that New Nb Sw
> B1      Circle Lft ¾;  Pt Sw
> B2      Wm Chain;  LLF&B w/ Rollaway
> (or, I think, LLF&B; Wm Chain /w Rollaway)

"California Twirlin'" by Janet Levatin

> Don’t Know Yet from Kathy Anderson @ BDD 9
> Improper
> Al Olson
> A1      (Remember this Nbr) LLF&B;  BAL Towards Nbr One, Back, Roll Away
> with Half Sashay
> A2      (still in lines) BALt  towards Nbr Two, Away, Sw Nbr Two
> B1      Mn Al Lft 1½;  Sw Pt
> B2      (with Nbr Two) Star Lft ¾;  Sw Nbr One
> From Kathy Anderson at the Brattleboro Dawn Dance, May 29, 2000

"Backstitch" by Al Olson

> Don’t Know Yet From Kathy Anderson @ M.T. #1
> Improper
> A1    LLF&B w/ Rollaway; Women Chain
> A2    Hey (Wm st Rt sh)
> B1    Partner B&S
> B2    Circle Left ¾; Neighbor Swing

"Rollin' to the Gray Eagle" by Hank Morris

> Don’t Know Yet From Kathy Anderson @ M.T. #2
> Improper
> A1    Star Right; Neighbor Gypsy
> A2    Circle Single File Left Half (still looking at Neighbor Women lead)
> (4)
>          Neighbor Gypsy (some more) (4);
>          Neighbor Swing
> B1    Give & Take: Women pull Partner back
> B2    Women Chain; Star Left

"Baridhara" by Chris Weiler.

> Don’t Know Yet From Mavis March 2 2016
> Improper
> A1     Nbr DSD; Nbr Swing
> A2     LLF&B;  Wm chain (to Pt)—end in Ring
> B1     Ring Balance, Roll Nbr; Pt Swing
> B2     Circle Lft ¾;  Ring Balance, CA Twirl

Probably "Roll 12.5" by Chris Page, especially if he got it from Frannie Marr.

> Don’t Know Yet From Mike Richardson, MT 2001 #1
> Becket
> ???
> A1      Long Lines Forwad & Back;  Circle Left, Slide Lft (R&L T; Circle
> Slide, or LLF&B, Circle ½, Slide)
> A2      Hey, Wm start, Rt shoulder
> B1      Wm Al Rt ¾ to long wave in center (4), BAL;  Wm back out WHILE Mn Al
> Rt with Man to Rt ¾ to long wave, BAL
> B2      Mn step forward to Pt: Sw Pt

"Quicksilver Reel" by Mike Richardson

> Don’t Know Yet from Susan Kevra (I think)
> Becket
> A1    Nbr Allemande Rt, Wmn Lft Pull By, Pt Allemande Rt, Wmn Lft Pull By
> A2    Neighbor B&S
> B1    Circle Left ¾; Partner Swing
> B2    LLF&B; Women Chain
>         At least it was on a blue piece of paper that also had Hey for 40,
> as called by S.K.

"Ben's Spinoff #3" by Gene Hubert.