[Callers] Organizing open calling

Richard Hart via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon May 23 11:49:07 PDT 2016

I would depend on whether this were for experienced callers or new
callers trying it out for the first (or second...) time.

With experienced callers you can ask them to call an easy introductory
dance at the beginning, an energetic dance midterm, or a slower dance
for a wind down at the end. With the newest callers, that seldom
works, as they just want to call a dance that they though as fun when
they danced it. They seldom have any idea how to chose a dance for the
crowd, or for the time during the evening.

Beginners will need a coach to help them pick a dance to call, and
then prompts to assure that the walk through and calling is
successful, and that they end the dance in a reasonable time, too.

Cary Ravits Notes on Calling Contra Dances, can be a very good source
for beginning callers: http://www.dance.ravitz.us/call.php#n