[Callers] Microphones and/or technique for a deep voice.

John W Gintell via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu May 19 11:16:08 PDT 2016

> On May 19, 2016, at 1:39 PM, JD Erskine via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> On 2016-05-18 1909, Darwin Gregory via Callers wrote:
>> I am a new caller, and I have called two dances.  The first, I
>> completely blew the microphone part. Since then, I practiced holding the
>> mic close to my mouth like was suggested to me.
>>
>> The second dnce, I was told that my voice was too deep for the
>> microphone, and I was overpowering it.  It was suggested that I hold the
>> microphone further away and project, which I tried, but again, not
>> something I practiced.
>>
>> Someone afterwards suggested that it could have been dealt with by the
>> sound board.  Although, the sound guy was sitting there and I'm sure
>> would have done something if it would have helped.
>>
>> So, any advice?  Is there a particular mic or mic type that is good for
>> deep voices?  Any techniques to practice?  Sound guy/gal need to be on
>> the ball?
>>
>> Any advice welcome.
>>
>> ... Darwin

When I do sound (or teach it to new people) I cite 3 priorities:

1. Can the caller be heard clearly anywhere in the hall?

2. Is the phrase and beat clear?

3. Is the band happy?

Without 1. and 2. dances fall apart and it is particularly bad for beginners - and frustrated beginners don’t return (which is extremely important for the viability of dance series).

Sometimes 3. presents a conflict with 1. or 2. that requires some conversation with the band and figuring out exactly what to do.

As a dancer I sometimes notice a tendency for the band to be too loud - particularly early in the evening when the hall is less full and there aren’t lots of bodies to absorb the sound; that can mess up 1.

Mic discipline by the caller is really important and some callers are excellent - having a mic in a stand and keeping the same distance all  the time. A wind screen helps.

     John