[Callers] Thoughts on B2/A1 swings and having time to flourish

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Mar 27 23:44:41 PDT 2016

On the 16-count swing. It can be totally enjoyable, but usually for experienced dancers. For a group of mostly beginners, even a 12-count swing can be a bit much. So, if I’m calling to a substantially beginning group, I’d turn it into a do-si-do and swing. I’ll even turn a balance & swing into a DSD & swing.

I went through a short phase of changing endings to end a dance with a swing. Now, I just try to stay out of the way of the band. I much prefer them doing the big wind-up or the occasional fade-out and surprise the dancers. So I’ve stopped trying to advertise my presence by calling the last time through. But, if a dance starts with a partner swing, I often ask the band to pick a last-tune-in-the-set that permits them to play three B parts the very last time though the dance. This lets the band do a big wind-up, me keep my mouth shut, and still end the dance with that A1 partner swing.

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca

On the starting with a partner