[Callers] [trad-dance-callers] Novelty & Gimmick Contras

Vicki Morrison via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Mar 19 16:52:59 PDT 2016

Hello all! I've been meaning to chime in. Don't think anyone has mentioned this one. I would consider Beneficial Tradition by Dan Pearl has having an unusual sequence. A friend used the exact same words, gimmicky, when I called it. That term hadn't occurred to me until he mentioned it. Anyway, here it is and a youtube link:
Becket, double progression
A1  Ladies alle L 1.0 to form a wavy line; Bal wave, swing PA2  Circle L 3/4, N swingB1  Ladies chain, LLFBB2  straight across with opposite sex, pull by left, face in (4)on slight right diagonal, with same sex, pull by right, face in (4)straight across, with opposite sex pull by left, face in (4)on slight right diagonal with same sex, pull by right, face in (4)
The author advises: This one needs strong, clear four-beat phrases in B2. More driving or exuberant and not mysterious or in a minor key.
I think Brian Hamshar did an excellent job teaching this dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvB0RCB-QIw  From: Bob Green via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net>