[Callers] Contras for One Nighters

Linda Mrosko via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Mar 9 20:33:02 PST 2016

The closest I usually get to a contra-style is *DoSiThree*.  Everybody gets
the progression.  The hardest part about that dance is getting them into a
3 face 3 position -- more particularly, a set of 3 people can be a
challenging concept for some (you need lines of 3 people, you and two
partners, etc.).  Once they get in position, the rest of the dance works
great.

I prefer longways dances instead -- *Blobs* is a staple and *Brandy Rump
Bump* for a younger crowd.

Another contra dance that has worked well for me with a majority of
beginners has been *Moonstruck* -- sliding left to progress to the next
couple is easy for anybody to understand, you interact with your partner
and your neighbor, and all you do is clapping, dosidos, circles, balancing
and sliding to the next.

One other is *French Wedding* - dosidos, 2-hand turns, circles, dig for the
oyster/dive for the clam to the next.

If I only have an hour, I don't call a contra.  But if I have 2 hours,
well...I don't know about you, but I like just a little variety.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Rich Sbardella via Callers <

> I rarely call a contra at a One Night Party Dance, but occasionally I am
> asked to.  I have a few in my cards, but can anyone make some sure fire
> recommendations.
>
> Assume 95%-100% non dancers.
>
> Thanks, Rich
> Stafford, CT