[Callers] Simple Revolving door dances?

frannie via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Mar 2 09:13:34 PST 2016

Ron Buchanan's "Revolving Door" figure is described well by Rick Mohr.  In
"Revolving Door", couples start a "wrong side" half promenade where women
pass right instead of men passing left. As the women meet they catch right
hands and allemande right once around. The men drop out after crossing the
set, and partners swing as the women come around. It flows easily and feels
good. I often do a floor demo, both because it's unfamiliar and because
it's pretty cool to watch. Since the promenade only lasts for a beat or two
I think the easiest hold is for neighbors to join left hands, with the
man's right arm briefly behind the woman's back.

Dances that include that figure are
Puttin' Cheese on the Ritz by Ron Buchanan
Glenside Promenade by Ron Buchanan
Gaye's Groove by Rick Mohr
Cup of Joe by Rick Mohr
Better Late than Never by Steve Z-A
Not a Trip to Vegas by Chris Page

Rick Mohr is also credited with varying this dance to include a Revolving
Door.  It's the easiest of the dances.

*The Missing Piece*

Bronwyn Woods

Type: Contra

Formation: Duple-Improper

A1 -----------

(16) Neighbor balance and swing

A2 -----------

(8) Revolving door (W take N across set drop them off and return home to P)

(8) Partner swing

B1 -----------

(8) Long lines, forward and back

(8) Women Chain

B2 -----------

(8) Balance the ring and spin to the right (petronella)

(8) Balance the ring and spin to the right (petronella) turn away from
these N to new N

Notes: Original A2 Men allemande L 1.5  to P swing

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Maia McCormick via Callers <

> Hmm. Alex, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that "revolving
> doors" was the reverse of a half promenade and butterfly whirl...?
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Luke Donforth via Callers <
>
>> I interpreted that as a move that goes from one circle with neighbors to
>> another circle with other neighbors, such as David Kaynor's "Open Doors"
>>
>> (Sourced from: http://www.davidkaynor.com/Compositions.html )
>>
>> *Open Doors*
>>
>> Duple Improper
>> A1 Circle Left 3/4; Swing Partner
>> A2 Down Hall 4 - in - line; Wheel around as couples; return; bend line
>> into long line
>> B1 Long lines forward; Ladies pull neighbors out; swing neighbors; end
>> progressed
>> B2 Long Lines forward & back; Circle Right; turn alone to face new
>> neighbors
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Aahz Maruch via Callers <
>> callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

>>> What's a revolving door dance?  (Yes, I did try searching.)
>>> --
>>> Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
>>> http://rule6.info/
>>> Help a hearing-impaired person: http://rule6.info/hearing.html