[Callers] Grand Square in a contra?

Luke Donforth via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 30 19:38:10 PDT 2016

Thanks all for your help!

It seems probably that it was Bases Loaded (based on the write up at
http://www.dancerhapsody.com/calling/dances.html); but it's even more
likely that it was Bill Olsen calling, so I'd like to hear him weigh in on
both probabilities ;-)

I found write ups of some of the others mentioned:
Fatal Attraction:
http://www.dance.ravitz.us/#fa
Mini Grand Swing:
http://www.childgrove.org/index.php/about-dances/dance-writers/jim-hemphill-dances#
and the don't jog my memory.
Didn't find the others, but had fun poking around though.

The discussion of doing the grand square on the diagonal struck me as
something that could be included in a 4x4 as variations of Jacob Bloom's
dance ff your 4x4 was "bent".

To get into bent 4x4:
get into regular 4x4 lines,
point out the couple on the diagonal in the other lines of four
swing partner, end facing that diagonal couple.
It's like a square dance on an x instead of a +

Once you're there:

Fox Hollow Foibles
"bent" 4x4
A1
Grand Square, right side couples starting forward, left side couples
starting with split
A2
Reverse, right side couples starting with split, left side couples starting
forward
B1
Corner Balance and Swing, square set
B2
Heads pass through
Sides pass through
Partner swing, face "bent" line of direction

Musically, I could see pluses and minus to moving the entire grand square
to the A phrases. It's consistent, and allows for a punch on the B1 balance
& swing. But the A2->B1 transition signifying the reverse could also add
some pizzazz. When I use it as a break in squares, I (usually) have both
halves of the grand square in the same half of the tune. I'm curious how
other people use grand squares, and what they try to do in terms of
phrasing.

One apparent advantage of the original Fox Hollow Fancy is setting up clear
head couples to start forward in the grand square. I don't know how well
dancers would remember "right side couple goes forward" as they swap sides
back and forth. Even in the "bent" formation, you could have the heads (who
are corners) start the Grand Square forward. You don't see much of your
partner in Fox Hollow Fancy though, and the diagonal grand square lets you
have more partner interaction. Small factors to weigh.

Anyway, thanks again Shared Weight for being a resource.
Luke

--
Luke Donforth
Luke.Donforth at gmail.com <Luke.Donev at gmail.com>