[Callers] Musical advice

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jun 13 19:09:14 PDT 2016

Hi all

I just got home late last night from the event (the Greenwood Fest), and
can now report back.  I hugely appreciate all the tune suggestions.
They were really helpful for both me and the band.  I sent them a list
of tune names, along with video links, and they settled on Turkey in the
Straw and St. Anne's Reel, which worked just fine for Margate Hoy and Le
Brandy, respectively.  The 3rd dance was a big wind-up/spiral dance, to
the Crawdad Song.  Traditional dance accompaniment is definitely not
what this band usually does but they dove into it with great energy and
attitude and we had a good time together.  The one thing that I didn't
anticipate, though if I had given it some thought I should have, is that
this crowd was about 90% male.  There were just a few who were willing
to partner with other men, and I chose dances where partner interaction
could be no more intimate than an elbow swing.  The folks who joined in
had a good time and were asking for more (maybe we can do more at the
next event).  The bulk of the crowd only joined in for the windup.  All
in all, it went about as I'd expected for the dance part of it, and
better than I feared for the musical part.

Thanks, all of you, for your help!
Kalia