[Callers] Weaving Together Youngsters and Oldsters

John Rogers via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jul 27 18:49:16 PDT 2016

I'll offer two bits of advice.  One is that seniors with mobility problems move more easily forwards than backwards.  I found this out once when I devised a very simple circle dance that was mainly circle left and into the center and back.  That worked fine when hands were not joined (as in "ladies to the center and back") but was terrifying when everyone went into the center and back - because the young, boisterous ones went backward faster than the old folks were ready for.  (So: have them drop hands for anything involving moving backwards.)

The other thing I learned years ago as an international dance teacher:  Older folks tend to dislike being given "tactile input" , (i.e, being shoved around) as a teaching tool.  (So: stick to the visual and auditory input channels, and save the tactile for the kids.)

I can't swear to it, but my understanding is that "Line Dancing" (where nobody touches anybody) was invented about 1970 as a means of getting seniors to dance

Sent from my iPhone