[Callers] Is this a new dance?

John Rogers via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jul 19 23:07:10 PDT 2016

I call Dancing and the Road to Hell fairly often, and although I am careful about it (as I will explain), the dancers seem to enjoy it.  For starters, I never call it as the last dance of the evening (when the band is likely to want to play uptempo) and I mention to them that this is not a good time to bump the tempo up, just in case they were thinking of doing so.  The other  important thing is to tell the dancers not to worry about finishing the circle on time... the ladies start the chain when the music says to, and the gents keep circling until they get home, and by that time they'll have their partners for the courtesy turn.  I think it flows nicely as long as the caller sets the expectation the the transition to the chain is rather fluid.  (I think Mike Richardson's description describes this approach.)

Sent from my iPhone