[Callers] Grand Square in a contra?

Luke Donforth via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Jul 8 08:13:37 PDT 2016

Thanks for the feedback on how it went. Someone else suggested trying to
get a regular grand square into the program earlier in the weekend, which
may have helped.

I do think there are other dances which differentiate in 4x4s, such as the
center 4 star, or having one person in a group of four lead the rest of the
line. I agree it's more of a cognitive load though.

Another version I considered, Fox Hollow Fallacy, had the same bent 4x4
set-up but then had you do the grand square with heads and sides couples.
So you're working with your corner instead of your partner. I hope to try
that at some point and see how it goes. You could go even further in homage
to square dancing and start it with right side couples one time, then head
couples the next, then left side couples, then side couples; an alternating
four-phase sequence (RHLS gives a more even distribution of the roles than
RLHS). But that's more of the square "pay attention to the caller"
tradition than contra's "learn the dance and the caller drops out"
tradition. I can imagine another F word dancers might use to name that Fox
Hollow variant...

For anyone out that way considering attending, I thought the dance weekend
as a whole was loads of fun.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:46 PM, David Harding via Callers <