[Callers] tips for teaching dancing the "other" role?

Mark Pigman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jul 7 21:54:42 PDT 2016

Ilove using role-neutral swings, and as Maia suggested, I think they are afabulous teaching tool to correct awkward swings during a lesson.  However, I have observed stress indicatorsfrom some dancers newish to role swapping when I have tried using a neutralswing.  It seems as though having an asymmetricalswing hold indicates that both parties are in agreement as to who will end upwhere at the end of a swing.  Even forregular role swappers, using a neutral swing delays the role decisionconcurrence from the beginning of the swing to the end, possibly making peoplelate to the next move.

Mark Pigman

Tacoma,WA