[Callers] That g word

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Jan 22 18:10:38 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016, Lindsay Morris via Callers wrote:

> I'm about to leave this list because I'm so appalled at the amount of time
> spent on this discussion. So many smart, good people: surely we all have
> something better to do?

Sounds like you're policing what other people choose to spend their time
on.  Oddly enough, I've seen comments like yours countless times when the
subject lands on sexism, racism, homophobia, and so on.  What I find
especially interesting is that these types of comments are louder when
it's a subject that isn't "generally recognized" to be hurtful.  In my
own lifetime, I've watched the discussion shift significantly when the
subject is homophobia, and I currently watch appalled as fatphobia is
still considered acceptable (with constant deprecatory comments similar
to yours).

People whose lives are adversely affected by prejudice don't have the
luxury of walking away from the discussion.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/