[Callers] Family dances for 3-9 people?

Alan Winston via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Feb 18 23:56:22 PST 2016

This has worked for me:

3 or 4 couples longways.  Try to get talls and smalls mixed in each line
but partners are across from each other.

A1 1-4 Lines go forward and back.
      5-8 Link arms in line and as a unit, pass left shoulder (bottom
person in one line, top in the other)  and wheel around to face in in
the other line's place.

A2 repeat to home

B1 Top couple freestyle their way down the middle and back - tell em
they can dance together any way they want - and peel off to the bottom

B2: Everyone else steps up and swings their partner.

There's enough flex in B2 to make up for any confusion in B1.  I've done
this for slightly-drunk Civil War reenactors and for
mostly-11-year-olds.  I designed it for three-face-three but it works
with four face four.

Feel free to change B1 to two-hand turn and cast off, or lace-the-boot
to the bottom.

You need to run it at least twice because people want another chance at
the showoffy part.

I don't have a title for this but I made it up (because I needed
something right then) at a Firefly-themed birthday party a week after
being inspired by Susan Michaels's brief family dance seminar at Queer
Contra weekend, so I could call it "Firefly Jig", "Susan's Reel".  I
swiped the forward and back and march and wheel from a three-face-three
Sicilian called "Three Meet" so there might be a name choice there.

This one probably needs 11-year-old or older, and a band that can play
"Sellenger's Round".
$DISK9:[WINSTON.TEXT.DANCES.APW]SELLENGERS_WHEEL.TXT;2

SELLENGER'S WHEEL
Alan Winston, 11/16/2003
cut-down version of Sellenger's Round for 3-7 people, no partners needed.
Formation: circle of people facing in
Tune in Barnes, 5x.

I:
A:  Slipping circle (*really* slipping)  left and back to the right.