[Callers] Family dance- educational supplements?

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Feb 2 12:33:49 PST 2016

Hi, Claire,

I've done only a tiny amount of calling for the family dance
crowd, but from what I've seen of the New England Dance Masters
material and Marion Rose's material, and from seeing the authors
in action either live or on video, I'd second both of Rich's
recommendations.

Another resource worth looking at is Dudley Laufman's _Traditional
Barn Dances and Calling_, which comes packaged with two CD's of
music (called and uncalled) and a DVD showing some of the dances.
See

     http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/traditional-barn-dances-with-calls--fiddling?isbn=9780736076128

SF Bay area caller Erik Hoffman has a book called "Old-Time Dance
Calling for Weddings, Parties, and One-Night Stands"

     http://www.erikhoffman.com/otdancebk.html

If you get in touch with him and tell more about the group you're
expecting to call for (What age-range of home-schoolers?  Will a
bunch of their younger siblings be there?), he might advise you
as to how much of the material in it would be suitable for you.

Cheers,
--Jim