[Callers] In search of some dances

Michael Dyck via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Dec 25 07:32:03 PST 2016

On 16-12-24 10:48 PM, Maia McCormick via Callers wrote:
> Hi there hivemind,
>
> I'm in search of the following dances and would be grateful to anyone who
> can help me out:
> 1) Cupid's Clout (...Cupid's Cloud? Something like that? A lovely flowy
> dance with pousettes)

Jim Hemphill's "Cupid's Hey" has pousettes:
http://www.childgrove.org/index.php/mo-dances/jim-hemphill/

> 2) Square Route (petronella spin --> 3 changes of a square thru)

Don't know.

> 3) Looking for name and author of:
>
>     A1: circle L 3/4
>     N swing
>     A2: long lines
>     square thru 2
>     B1: next N. bal & box the gnat
>     gents allemande L 1 1/2
>     B2: P b&s

One possibility is that it's the 'becketization' of a ones-improper dance
that begins when you meet your next neighbor:

      A1: N. bal & box the gnat
          gents allemande L 1 1/2
      A2: P b&s
      B1: circle L 3/4
          N swing
      B2: long lines
          square thru 2

This is pretty close to "Dancy Nancy" by Katy Heine:
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20160109193319/http://katyheine.com/#dancy

It's also similar to your own "Treasure of the Soda Bar":
http://contra.maiamccormick.com/dances.html#treasureofthesodabar

And the first three-quarters are identical to those of:
  -- "Bristol Court" by Melanie Axel-Lute:
     http://www.maxellute.net/Bristol.html
  -- and "Traveling Salesman" by John Coffman:

https://sites.google.com/site/capecontradance/home/contra-dances-by-john-coffman

-Michael