[Callers] A new dance: Cassoulet

Roger Hayes via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Dec 7 20:13:34 PST 2016

I've been thinking about dances with distinctive figures recently. Here's
one that people have enjoyed; I think it may be the minimal improper dance
with contra corners, as it avoids the half figure eight which, while fun,
causes confusion for beginners.

------

Cassoulet

Duple minor improper contra dance

Roger Hayes, August 2016

A1 Circle left ½,

     Ladies roll away L to R with neighbor

     Circle left ½,

     Gents roll away L to R with neighbor

A2 Demi pousette,

     Long lines forward and back

B1 Contra corners

B2 Actives balance and swing

Demi pousette: 1’s do a ½ draw pousette starting above improper, ending
below proper, while 2’s do a normal ½ pousette to move up. So the 1 gent
pulls partner out of the set and back in, moving in an arc with the gent
always in the forefront, while the 2 gent pulls partner out of the set then
2 lady pulls partner back in, describing a V shape.

This dance benefits from spacious circles.