[Callers] Holiday contras - BEG/EASY

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Dec 4 18:48:59 PST 2016

Although I share the idea that concept programs are often not that great, I've been calling a Christmas Night dance for years, and will again, in Santa Barbara this year. Not only that, but it's a Free Dance.

And, for years, I've had the joy of working with Ken Keppeler & Jeanie Mclerie, of Bayou Seco, from New Mexico.

We used to put together a set of straightened out Christmas carols. Cutting Joy to the World short works. Sort of... But:

We Three Kings works great as a jig, and straightens out easily, and I wrote a dance for it, which I think I've posted here every year for a while.

The Dance:

Follow That Star
Improper
Erik Hoffman

A1  w/ Current Neighbors: Star Left (8)
      w/ Previous Neighbors: Star Right (8)

A2  Man #1, Man #2, & Woman #1 for a Line of Three: They go Down Hall, Turn Alone and Return
       WHILE:
      Woman #2 comes Up the Hall, Turns Alone, Returns

B1  Line of three Circles Left around Woman #2 (8); All Swing Neighbor on Own Side

B2  Long Lines Forward & Back;  All Swing Partner

This dance has a story:
A1   There was a star traveling across the sky
A2   Three Kings followed the star
B1   They found a Babe in a Manger
B1 & B2  Everybody Partied!

We also almost always do one of the Blues Contras, and play the Elivs Presley blues song, "Santa Claus is Back in Town."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqVMfTz_HDU

~Erik Hoffman
    Oakland, CA