[Callers] Favorite dance to teach a ladies chain?

Aahz via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Aug 23 09:58:34 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016, George Mercer via Callers wrote:

> Just a note: I always teach the right and left through. It is a
> simple move in the grand scheme, but it doesn't make much sense
> for beginners. Saying it is like a ladies chain only both dancers
> are crossing doesn't really help. Right-hand pull by across with
> the dancer directly across, then left-hands on the side and you
> courteously help each other turn via a courtesy turn.

Most of my teaching has been in a square dance context, but I teach Pass
Thru, Courtesy Turn before I teach R&L Thru.  And I teach sashayed
Courtesy Turn -- probably wouldn't bother with that in a contra context.

There's a regular argument in the square dance community about whether
it's better to teach the handed version or no-hands version of calls
first (e.g. California Twirl vs Partner Trade).  I overall favor the
handed calls first because it's better body flow and the guide makes it
easier to learn the call.  However, I switch with R&L Thru because
learning how to take and drop hands while passing is a bit of a tricky
skill for many people (the biggest culprit usually being Square Thru).
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/