[Callers] Favorite dance to teach a ladies chain?

George Mercer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Aug 23 09:35:37 PDT 2016

I don't call much anymore.  I teach the courtesy turn all by itself from
the side of the set. It is a "courtesy." One person assists the other to
turn and arrive in the right position. Practice it from standing still --
at least twice so that the dancers are facing back into the set again. Then
I teach the ladies chain: ladies right-hand pull by across the set while
gents move into receiving or welcoming position, then both crossing ladies
and welcoming gents extend and joining left hands and while joining right
hands behind the ladies' waist the gent courteously assists her in turning
into the right place. Just a note: I always teach the right and left
through. It is a simple move in the grand scheme, but it doesn't make much
sense for beginners. Saying it is like a ladies chain only both dancers are
crossing doesn't really help. Right-hand pull by across with the dancer
directly across, then left-hands on the side and you courteously help each
other turn via a courtesy turn.  .

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Luke Donforth via Callers <