[Callers] On Balances, Box circulates, Allemandes, Circles & Timing

Chet Gray via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Aug 22 07:31:01 PDT 2016

Thanks for your commentary, Erik.

In regards to the direction of balances before allemandes, I agree for the
most part, but I see one aspect you left out: eye contact. I know not
everybody uses eye contact when balancing towards someone, just as not
everybody uses eye contact in swings or allemandes, but many folks do, and
I know folks who find the eye contact first with one person, then with
another during a right-left (or left-right) balance to be not only very
satisfying, but an important social component of the figure.

I have a tendency to look at dances in a very technical manner, when
calling as well as when dancing or playing. I consciously try to let that
go when it is unnecessary. When deciding on the wording to use for a dance,
I try to consider whether it **really** matters to the momentum to specify
what direction the dancers balance in, or to let them enjoy it as they will
(coming from what may be a last bastion of hands-across-star-by-default, I
do this for star grip as well).

For a different point, if the balance before the allemande is by one hand
only—instead of, say, from a wave—balancing toward-away-from the person
often makes more physical sense than a half-supported forward-back.

In regards to circles, circumference, and styling, I love the points you
make. I enjoy when callers bring up (carefully selected) style notes for
oft-ignored aspects of the dance, such as how radial distance affects speed
(and, therefore timing) in not only circles, but allemandes and
two-hand-turns. My recent crusade (to be a bit hyperbolic) has been
"turning takes time" during down-the-halls. Time will tell how effective it
is at alleviating line drift...

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Erik Hoffman via Callers <