[Callers] Floor Space Requirement

Richard Hart via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Aug 2 08:14:24 PDT 2016

Woodie got it right. Talk with the B&G. Most everyone would much
prefer the dances to be fun for everyone, rather than more complicated
and difficult dances that fail with all the beginners.  Just be sure
you have a good band who can keep a strong beat and great tunes.

For the grand march have the B&G lead the march (talk with them about
how this will work beforehand). Then have them end up in front and
middle where all can applaud them. A Virginia reel is good for
beginners, as is the Galopede. I've found that with good music and an
enthusiastic crowd, most good dancers enjoy the Galopede, or Virginia
reel as much as the most modern contras, as they are dancing with (at
lest some) friends, and they can always add their own flourishes.

And when all are lined up after the grand march, immediately form
lines from where they stand. Don't let them sit down. Keep them
dancing.