[Callers] Floor Space Requirement

David Harding via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Aug 1 15:29:46 PDT 2016

Rich,

Let's do a bottom up estimate driven by an exerise.  Stand comfortably,
hold the hands of the opposite role dancers on either side of you
(imaginary or real), and execute a long-lines-forward-and-back.

The distance from your left hand to your right hand is the distance
along the line that you and your partner occupy.  People of different
sizes will have different comfort factors.  We've all been in lines that
were too scrunched up and lines where we couldn't even reach the next
person.  3-5 feet per person feels acceptable to me, with about 4 feet
being a good compromise.  Your foursome needs twice the space, of 8'.
That implies that 20 couples would do well with about an 80-foot line.
Of course, if you are doing any down-the-hall figures, you need some
extra space.  Six steps at 2' per step is 12', but it's negotiable.

How far did you travel on your forward voyage?  Again, everyone's
mileage will differ, but I think that about 1 foot per step is suitable,
so if you and your partner each take three steps, you would want 6 feet
between you to start with.  That's consistent with taking four 1.5-foot
steps to walk across in a chain or a right-and-left through.  Add an
allowance for your depth and your partner's depth, say 1.5' each, and
we're up to 10' width per set.  The courtesy turn is most comfortably
done if you have a little additional room, maybe another 1.5'-2' on each
side.  Now we're up to 13'-14'.

I would thus claim that each hands-four needs about 8'x14', or 112
sqft.  28 sqft per person.  Having written the above, I look back at the
other posts and am pleased to see that my number comes out pretty close
to the others.  Depending on the shape of the space, there may be some
floor area that is not useful, since each set wants its 13'-14' width.

David Harding