[Callers] A balanced view of ECD

Aahz via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Apr 24 08:13:00 PDT 2016

[I'm writing this "to" Kalia because she was calling English at the Queer
Contra Dance Camp a couple of weekends ago, but then I figured other
people might find it interesting and/or useful]

Howdy Kalia,

I think I finally figured out part of the reason why I overall dislike
English despite its similarity to contra.  Part of the figuring out was
teaching Postie's Jig at CALLERLAB this year.  Basically, I don't have a
sense of balance, and something about the way English puts less emphasis
on giving weight makes it feel less comfortable for me.  (I've got
similar issues with certain folk dances, such as Zemjo Makedonska, but
that's slow enough and repetitive enough that I can focus on balance.)

For anyone not familiar with Postie's Jig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYYCx7snk4

I noticed that you did some ECD that was different from the usual turn
single, slide across, etc, and I enjoyed that a whole lot more.  I don't
have problems with e.g. heys because there's enough momentum to carry me
around.

Note that my balance issues are different from most other people's
because I literally have no sense of balance (e.g. can't tell when a
hammock is swinging) and I rely on visual/kinesthetic mechanisms to
balance -- which actually gives me good functional balance when I'm
moving, but much less when I'm standing.

If you run across other people with balance issues, this analysis may
allow you to do a better job of helping them figure out what works for
them.

Thanks,
Aahz
--