[Callers] caller suggestions for beginner handout

Linda Mrosko via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Apr 20 12:57:11 PDT 2016

Well, are you talking about things like...

-- Dances for non-dancers
-- A great way to connect with other friendly, happy people
-- No costumes -- wear a smile and comfortable shoes and clothes
-- No partner or experience necessary

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Emily Addison via Callers <

> Hello shared weight callers :)
>
> Knowing that callers do so much to support brand new contra dancers, as a
> dance organizer, I have a question for you!
>
> Ottawa Contra is working on a 1-pg handout to give to first time dancers.
> The goal of the handout is to provide tidbits that will help convince first
> timers  to come back, that contra's accessible/they can be successful/climb
> that learning curve, and that contra's a great fit for them.  Who knows if
> the handout will actually work but we want to try as part of our focus on
> increasing the retention of all the beginners we get.
>
> I have a few examples of other handouts but they often focus on explaining
> the specific moves.
>
> We're thinking more along things that speak to the spirit of contra/are
> inspiring PLLLUS great technical tips (nuggets!) that can make a huge
> different to their experience as beginners.
>
> If you have any ideas, please pass them along. They may be little messages
> you feel every beginner should know, or even tips you provide in the
> beginner/intro lesson before the actual dance.
>
> With much thanks!
> Emily Addison in Ottawa ON

*Looking forward,Linda S. Mrosko*

*102 Mitchell Drive*