[Callers] Challenging Contras

Jonathan Sivier via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Apr 8 12:42:37 PDT 2016

On 4/8/2016 1:31 PM, Bradley Smith via Callers wrote:
> Hello all! I'll be calling a session of challenging contras at a dance
> weekend next month, and find myself lacking in the aforementioned
> challenging contras. I want to keep the session balanced, with a mix of
> dances that are mind-bending or heavily technical as well as some dances
> that are a step or so below that but that still have something
> interesting or unique. Would any of you be so kind as to share some of
> your favorite challenging dances? Thank you in advance!

    Here is one I wrote that can be done as double or triple progression.

Stars and Stripes
Jonathan Sivier (1994, 1995)
duple improper, double progression; intermediate

1 - long lines forward and back
2 - left hand star 1 time
3 - right hand star 1/2, allemande left 3/4 with next
     neighbor to a wavy line across the set, men in the
     center
4 - balance the line, men allemande right 1/2
5-6 balance and swing partner on the side of the set
7 - circle left 3/4
8 - swing neighbor on the side of the set, end facing
     in

Stars and Stripes
Jonathan Sivier (1994, 1995)
duple improper, triple progression; advanced

1 - long lines forward and back
2 - left hand star 1 time
3 - right hand star 1/2, allemande left 3/4 with next
     neighbor to a wavy line across the set, men in the
     center
4 - balance the line, men allemande right 1/2
5-6 balance and swing partner on the side of the set
7 - circle left 3/4 and pass through along the set
8 - swing new neighbor, end facing in

Notes

3 - timing is tight, must move quickly, end in a wavy
     line with actives facing up, inactives facing
     down, men holding right hands in the center, 1st
     progression
5-6 balance and swing on man's original side
7 - 2nd progression for triple progression version
8 - 3rd progression (2nd progression for double
     progression version)

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, Square, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!