[Callers] Problem dancers / Crying Wolf

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Sep 13 00:53:35 PDT 2015

First, sorry for the inadvertent sending of no message.

Second, although I agree with Lisa that it's great to have dancers take
care of themselves and not call them "victims," and, if a dancer tells
me about a specific situation with another dancer, her approach is
commendable. But, two things:

1) When there is a dancer -- most commonly the older man seeking to
"take over" the training of the new dancer -- there's a problem. This
problem is that new dancers has no stake in the dance. If her (or his)
enjoyment is reduced, they have no real reason to report it, and a good
reason to never come back. OK, they may not be "a victim" though they
receive the brunt of a behavior that causes them discomfort. It's not up
to them to discourage such activity -- they have an easy way out: "why
would I bother going there again?" So, it's up to those of us with a
stake in the dance to interrupt such behavior.

2) If there is a regular dancer who's stake isn't so strong, and they
don't feel willing or comfortable with direct confrontation, they, too,
may just stop coming.

So, ultimately it is all of us who need to agree on the range of
acceptable behavior and address each incident as needed. It might be
totally appropriate to encourage a dancer to stand up for herself (or
himself). It might be the best course for organizers to step in and
assist a change in behavior. It might be for a caller to teach a styling
point. And it's good for we with a large stake in the dance to know how
people are feeling, about each other, about the dance, about problems.

Listening to both sides is also important.

I've mentioned this before, but in the Bay Area (SF) we had a woman once
who wrote a letter to the board and had a restraining order against a
man she had been involved with. The board sent out a copy of her letter
with the note that we call the police if the man decided not to leave a
dance when she was present. We got into a lot of hot water because we
included her story, and this was prior to checking with the man. Many of
us became aware later that the woman had a history of crying wolf,
really tried to use the restraining order to hurt the man (like filing a
complaint of him being too close as he was driving out of a parking lot
into which she was pulling in -- their cars passed within the 50 ft
limit...).

We learned to inform our managers that when a restraining order incident
comes up, call the police and don't take sides, and to listen to both
sides of a case, and not send out one person's testimony...

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca