[Callers] shadow swings

Tavi Merrill via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Sep 9 17:35:56 PDT 2015

RPDLW tends to have a different set of expectations than most weekends, to
say the least.

Michael, thanks for putting me on the spot with the "really, would you
ever" question, a question that *could have been asked of anyone who
replied to Maia's stated query about others' thoughts on how to "mitigate
the **potential harms of shadow swing dances" without debating her premise,
and should have been asked of no one at all*.

My answer: Not all calling situations are main hall or regular series
dances; and there is, in the lifetime of a caller, a place for most every
dance, even Lady Walpole's - places like themed sessions in which all
participants are aware of potential shadow interactions. And i'm fully
aware that (as Cary so perfectly phrases it) "in this case the caller is
choosing your second partner," and of the attendant risks therein. Please
also see Luke Donforth's fantastic answer.

We're (hopefully) here to nurture each other as callers at various stages
of the journey. That doesn't include messages framed to invite the person
asked, and anyone who views their reply, to view their answer in comparison
against "our most respected callers."

Tavi
(whoops! fixed gmail settings)