[Callers] Problem dancers / Crying Wolf

Yoyo Zhou via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Sep 9 17:02:23 PDT 2015

Taking you at face value: if you have a systemic problem, you need a
policy. If you have a problem with one person, you need to come to
terms with that person. I'm not sure if it's just the board, or if
other dancers also have issues with her. But if you seek mediation,
take notes on your interactions so you have evidence to back yourself
up.

Now, I think the last thing you need is a policy requiring victims to
speak up. It's counterproductive to making a safe dance space.  (Let's
discuss that on the other thread.)

Let's say I'm new to your dance and I have a bad experience with
someone. What do I do? I might complain about it to my friends who
convinced me to come. I might just avoid that person. I might just go
home dissatisfied. One of the last things I might do is complain to
the management (and I might view that woman as an extension thereof),
because who knows if they'll just shrug it off and not take me
seriously?

Also, you wrote, "it seems to me that she's committing violence." No,
I disagree. This totally cheapens the meaning of "violence". What
words do you use for when punches are actually thrown? (It's happened
at a dance here.)

Yoyo Zhou