[Callers] shadow swings

Dave Merrill via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Sep 9 14:17:58 PDT 2015

My only observation to add to the shadow swing melee is that while not
completely closed to them, i'm cognizant of the several reasons they are a
less than optimal choice. Given these drawbacks of the figure, i would not
use a shadow swing in a situation with very long sets. If the choreography
of the dance is so awesome i feel a need to use it, and the end effects
aren't prohibitive, i'd consider running it in a situation with short sets
(much as i'd use for a 1s active dance). Why? Because if anyone feels the
need to escape their shadow, they can get to an end of the set and either
jump out or rumble into another set sooner. I think this offers dancers the
best chance to fix a potential issue without singling anyone out or
creating a dynamic on the floor more awkward than the choice of a shadow
swing dance (albeit an exceptional one!) already did.