[Callers] Fw: Shadow Swing Disclaimers?

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Sep 8 14:30:45 PDT 2015

On 9/8/2015 11:30 AM, Mac Mckeever via Callers wrote:
> I agree with Michael - I can't see any reason I would want to call a
> dance with a shadow swing.  If the rest of the dance is that good -
> modify it to get rid of that swing.
>
> Chances are you are going to make at least one dancer very
> uncomfortable.  I avoid any figures that introduce that risk (not a big
> fan of men's chains either).

What makes a mens chain worse a ladies chain?  Is this a cooties issue?
  It's unfamiliar, certainly, but that doesn't make it bad.  Bear in
mind that there are ladies chains all over the place, so what's
special/icky about it when the roles are reversed?

> There are lots of great dances out there - so I don't see a need to
> knowingly offend dancers with the few dances that contain risky
> figures.  Warning them ahead of time creates a very awkward situation
> on  the floor and someone is going to lose.

I like Ron's idea of offering an alternative choreographic solution that
anyone can use within the context of the dance.  Don't want to swing?
Fine.  Allemande 1-1/2 or whatever will get you where you need to be.
Folks who need the out can use it, folks who don't, can ignore it, and
you ca still use the dance you wanted to use.

Kalia