[Callers] Gypsy Synopsis

Perry Shafran via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Oct 30 14:30:04 PDT 2015

FWIW, one of the supercomputers I work with is named Gyre, and it is generally pronounced with a soft get (as in "gin").

Perry

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"John Sweeney via Callers" <callers at lists.sharedweight.net>
Date:Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 5:09 PM
Subject:Re: [Callers] Gypsy Synopsis

Pleas could you clarify how you intend to pronounce "gyre"?

I have been saying "gyre" with a hard "g" as in "give" or "gimble".

But if it is related to "gyrate" then maybe people are using a soft "g" and
making it sound like "jire".

Which do you use?  Thanks.

By the way, I am still having major problems with understanding why the word
needs to be changed.  "Gypsy" is not inherently bad.

Just Google, say, "gypsy pope" and you will find countless articles in
countless papers and other media (including Vatican Radio) referring to
"gypsies".  Are they and the pope all racist?  And that is just one example.

It is only racist if you use tone or context to make it so.  But that can
apply to just about any word.

And in a dance environment it is definitely not racist.

If anyone ever asks me (and I doubt it will ever happen) I will tell them
that we call people who travel to dances "dance gypsies", just using the
word to mean someone who travels; the move likewise is just a move where you
travel around each other.  No deep meaning!

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362
http://www.contrafusion.co.uk for Dancing in Kent