[Callers] Gypsy Synopsis

Amy Wimmer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Oct 29 12:16:13 PDT 2015

I LOVE that word as a replacement for "gypsy." It makes absolute sense and
conveys the  idea of the move perfectly.
-Amy

On Oct 29, 2015, at 9:23 AM, bill fischer via Callers <

blessings linda

having read volumes of only occasionally interesting thoughts about this
subject, i am delighted to give a powerful second to the suggestion of gyre
the word’s use in the two works cited - two of my favorites - cements its
appeal for me
grateful for you!!

cheers
down the road..........
billy fischer
www.billthedancecaller.com
outonawhim at erols.com
home 203-393-3464
mobile 203-314-0221

On Oct 29, 2015, at 10:59 AM, Linda Leslie via Callers <

Thanks, Erik for summarizing. It is very helpful to have the list below. I
have one other suggestion to add for consideration for those who wish to
make a change in terms. Gyre can be found in Carol’s  “Jabberwocky" and
Yeats’  "The Second Coming". It has the advantage of being one syllable,
not used for anything else, and begins with the same sound as gypsy. Rather
capricious, if I do say so myself!  My husband Bob Golder, thinks that this
word is even better than gypsy, because the meaning of the word conveys the
movement.
Linda

gyre   [jahyuh r]  noun

       1.  a ring or circle.
2. a circular course or motion.
       3.
Oceanography. a ringlike system of ocean currents rotating clockwise in the
Northern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

On Oct 29, 2015, at 4:24 AM, Erik Hoffman via Callers <

On the subject of gypsies and language, I've enjoyed reading the myriad
comments, and find myself feeling ambiguous (which I define as feeling very
strongly both ways). And, I know it's been thrashed about and we've a
request for acknowledging that we are unlikely to change any opinions on
this. That said:

* I have had this discussion with a number people in the past, about the
very strong negative connotations of the word "Gypsy." Ambivalent as I am,
I do think we should look for a replacement word.

* I thought I'd collect all the words that have been suggested so far
(unless I missed one or two) in one place. Here it is:
       No Hand Turn
       No Hand Allemande (and I do think Allemande comes from "The German,"
a dance)
       Dance Around, or Walk Around
       Face to Face Do Si Do
       Bine (binary stars -- snippet below)
       Nose-to-Nose Do Si Do
       Dance Around - or Dance About
       Orbit Around - or Orbit About
       Loop
       Eddy
       Vortex
       Swirl
       Spiral
       Eyes or "Take Eyes"
       Holding Eyes
       Eyeballs
       Facing
       Maypole
       Hands Off
       Face à Face (facey-face...)
       Right (Left) Shoulder (without the G-word)
       Cyclone (though mentioned with a complaint - too "violent")