[Callers] Advice about "gypsy"

Eric Black via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 27 22:30:02 PDT 2015

Deja vu all over again.

I’ve always taught this move as a “face to face do-so-do”.  I might describe it (once in an evening) by asking the dancers to "imagine the delicate gold chain joining the rings in your noses”.  I don't explicitly suggest it’s flirty or even to make eye contact — that’s up to the dancers. And for a melt-down, I never say “until you can’t stand it any more”; I always say “when the music says it’s time, swing”.  The music dictates when one move ends and the next begins, with a suitably smooth and rewarding flow from one to the next.

I do call this move a “gypsy”.  I also refer to the performance roles of “gent” and “lady”, and never (since 1984 or so) say “men” or “women”.

It will be interesting to hear more recent reactions from Romani community representatives.  In the repeated previous discussions, when such input was sought it turned out that for the most part the people who ostensibly would/should have been offended were not.

-Eric (that Black caller)