[Callers] Advice about "gypsy"

Richard Fischer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 27 15:24:02 PDT 2015

I have a suggestion for a new word to replace "gypsy."  My word is "bine" and I derive it from "binary stars" which, especially if they are of similar mass, circle each other as in our dance move. I consulted with an astrophysicist friend, who told me that under certain circumstances binary stars may be "tidally locked," that is, facing each other as they orbit about each other. (Our moon is tidally locked, but in the earth-moon case it's not a mutual thing.)

"Bine" can be used as a verb and a noun, it's one syllable and easy to say, and its etymology is known. (And some dancers might enjoy the image).

As others have said, I too have appreciated this thoughtful discussion. It is hard to know when to retire an established term that has been used without intention to offend anyone, but I know many of us are considering doing so. So I thought I'd put my suggestion out there.

Richard