[Callers] Historical derivation of term "Gypsy"

Jacob or Nancy Bloom via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 26 17:11:57 PDT 2015

I've changed the name on the thread, to reflect the change of subject to
historical background.

I acknowledge Alan's point, that, unless a pre-Cecil Sharp source shows up
for the use of the term 'gypsy' as a country dance figure, the bulk of my
hypothesis falls apart.

As for the use of the terms 'gyp' and 'gypsy' in Morris dance, *The Morris
Book* by Cecil Sharp and Herbert Macilwaine defines the figure "Half-Hands
or Half-Gip" in part I, page 65, and defines the figure "Whole-Gip or
Gipsies" on page 32 of Part III.

No explanation for the derivation of the terms is given in either volume.

I do not have a copy of Sharp's Country Dance Book at hand.  Did someone
say that Sharp did not use the term gypsy in it?

Jacob