[Callers] Advice about "gypsy"

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 26 13:18:05 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015, JD Erskine iDance via Callers wrote:

> The most significant action/interaction has occurred, the person spoke up.
> The useful thing is to acknowledge it -- receipt of the communication.
>
> (As an operator in many radio communication services I can easily attest to
> the fact that an indication of receipt is different from one stating
> agreement.)

That is true.

> Were I writing in response (to that which I have not seen, or felt a
> reaction to), I might state in my version of a kindly tone, "Thank you for
> writing, and expressing your concern." . . . point of view, etc. as one
> considers it useful.
>
> There is little need to explain anything. They wish to speak, be heard.
> Indicating they've been heard is likely to be the most satisfying thing to
> them.

Maybe.  I have certainly been in situations where I actually do want
action, and a simple acknowledgment of receipt might make me angrier.
That can be doubly or triply true when I suspect that the person has not
understood my point, so I would at minimum encourage "mirroring":
rephrasing what the person said in your own words and asking if that's
what they meant.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/